Monday, October 6, 2008

Prismacolor pencils

I attended a mini-workshop over the weekend given by a Prismacolor rep. It was fun. If any of them are given in your area you should attend. My favorite part was learning HOW Prismacolors are made!

We also found out some new things, like Prismacolor is changing the labelling on the pencils themselves and will be putting the number at the end of the pencil again. THANK YOU! The new sets will be arranged chromatically, I can imagine how pretty those are going to be.

Also.. not so good news is that they currently plan on pre-sharpening all of their Prismacolors!! NO WAY!!! The reasoning is that teachers have complained that their students are spending to much time sharpening. My thoughts are .. then pr-esharpend the student grade product, but leave my Artist grade pencils as is! Not to mention a factory pre-sharpened pencil is really not sharpened at all.

I use my own pencil extenders, and I glue my nubs to my new pencils. No waste, no tubs of nubs (rofl) sitting around waiting to have something done with them.....I don't want pre-sharpened pencils!

Sanford is asking for input on their pencil labels and while your at it... give them your thoughts on the pre-sharpening issue too! (they only allow a little over 200 characters in the input box.. so keep it short!)

5 comments:

Jory said...

This is the 4th time I've tried to leave a comment. Unless you're moderating al comments, I don't know why they don't "register."

Anyway, I think this is a very creative and nifty idea.
What's the diameter of the tubing? (Guess I could take a Prisma with me to Home Depot. . .)

I love your blog and visit it often. And your artwork makes me drool on my laptop. :(

Toni James , Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Hi Jory!

Originally I had it set to moderate comments but changed it.. weird.

Off the top of my head I'm thinking 5/16ths.. but take a prisma with you instead. The tubing will be the same diameter as the pencil, you'll have to flare it slightly after you cut it, and also you'll need to sand off any burrs or sharp edges. The brass is pretty.. but the aluminum is easier to work with.... and lighter, good luck.. and if you have any questions holler again.

Hey, it's cool that you stop by often, this comment posted so you'll have to try it again. I'm sorry I'm not getting around much these days... busy busy busy!

thanks for stopping by!

Linda said...

Hi Toni...I'd like to thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I really wasn't sure it made any difference to anyone whether the pencils were sharpened or not. I was glad to know you have as much concern about pre-sharpening as I do. So let me say I am very pleased to let you in on the good news. I talked to the Sanford Rep this afternoon and found out that Sanford has decided to only pre sharpen the pencils in the sets. They ARE NOT going to sharpen the pencils that are sold in open stock.

I hate to be a skeptic but I'll be glad when I see it...Linda

Toni James , Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Thanks for that great information Linda!

whooooooohoooooooooooo!!!

*does a happy dance!*

Colleen Brown Fine Art said...

Lol.. I haven't worked in colored pencil for a few years but remember the glueing of the "nubs" to the end of the pencil to save the color! Only once did the little nub spin off into the sharpener..

Cheers,

Colleen :-)