Monday, October 6, 2008

Uart 500!

I've decided, no more Wallis for my Prismacolors! I know.. ya'll can faint now. I've spent the last year working on Uart, and gave a small piece of wallis a go the other day, with sad results! I'm going to have to stick to the sandpaper... even thought it's just as much of a "pencil eater paper" as the Wallis is.

This figurative work I'm doing is on Uart 500, 14x30 with Prismacolors. Here is my final transfer, with my background beginning to take shape .  Rough but it's a shape. I'm using linear strokes for now, holding my pencils as far back as I can, or using an extender if  the pencil is to short to hold that far away. That way I get longer strokes, but you still have to be careful with the application.
here is a closeup... many many more layers to go!
Next... I decided because of the size of this background I would use my Gamsol to dissolve the binder, letting me work the pencil into the sandpaper faster and push the wax color around like paint..
Bonus... my studio companion!  This is the only place I don't trip over her when I'm working. I'm sure there are those of you out there that know exactly what that's like. 
 At this point I decided to let it sit and dry over night.
With my background set (but nowhere near finished) I'm free to move onto the first layers of the figure. This is the fun part!  I managed to work a few hours uninterrupted ...
Forgive the color changes... darn lights. The image above is more correct than the one below;
but then....... well you can see for yourself..... and it was time to call it a day.
Ah.. I'm eager to get back out to my studio tomorrow, such a great feeling to feel inspired.
Thanks for dropping by!













5 comments:

Beth said...

Lovely start! Love your studio companion too. That is a great place for her.

Toni James , Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Thank you Beth! Yeah, it's not so fun when you step back while working and either step on or almost trip over that fuzzy mop.

lol

Linda said...

I was just wondering why you use the Uart 500 grit instead of the 800 grit? Oh, and I left another comment on your post about Prismacolor Pencils...Linda

Colleen Brown Fine Art said...

Really nice work Toni. This is going to be a gorgeous piece. I had to laugh.. I thought your little doge was a pile of insulation (my eyes weren't focused I guess)... :-))

Looking forward to seeing the progress on this one!

Colleen

Toni James , Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Linda, I tried the 800 grit one time, wasn't really thrilled with it, the tooth filled up faster than I wanted it to. I should probably give it a second try.. just to make sure.

Chooky lol...

thankyou. Hey so if your not doing CP what are you doing now a days? I call pile of insulation a mop usually... sort of sad for a Westie isnt she? The dang little white dog loves mud puddles!