Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Portrait on Pastelbord, erased and fixed


This model is really starting to bore me, so I thought I'd take a break and do a little something fun. I have a friend who mentioned to me that my pencil strokes were "precise". Hahahaha, I was very amused by that comment! My strokes are anything but. I guess you don't normally see them because I obliterate them with my many layers upon layers.

For this bit of fun, I thought I'd let loose a bit, and use those pencil strokes to my advantage. This is 9x12 Ampersand Pastelbord, with a Neocolor II underpainting and Prismacolor pencils on top. I think my total time on this piece is maybe 15 hours.

Here it is after my Neocolor under painting and several layers of Prismacolor. Looks a bit rough and I was not sure I was going to leave all these squiggles, but ... it was fun!

The more I looked at this the more I disliked the hair over the forehead. So, what's to do.. fix it of course!
Here I've got my scratch board tool, and a sculpting tool, both of which I use to scrape off small areas. The pastelbord holds up very well to this. Now for the small areas, and specific lines, I'll scrape off with the little tools.
I've also removed the large area with a dry cleaning pad, which gets down into the grit of the board. After that I used a generic brand "magic eraser" to clean up the area.
Now, I have very little residue left, I'm sure I could have uses scotch tape or my kneaded eraser to lift more had I thought it was necessary, but I didn't. Time to go back in and repair the area I just erased.
Here is the final image, all finished and untitled even! lol.

7 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

Beautiful piece Toni! And what a facinating repair job. Thanks for taking the time to show us.

Toni James , Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Thank you Teresa! I know some think colored pencil is not eraseable, but I've never thought that. I've erased and worked some large areas before. It's never been "well, crud I ruined that", it's always been "well crud, now how am I going to fix it, dummy me." So, I just fix it. lol. I'm glad you found it interesting.

Brenda said...

You really are awesome. And the model has never bored me!

Norma said...

What Brenda said - grin

Bobby said...

You've outdone yourself on yourself... but I have to ask, what's with the desire to capture every rock and crevice of your skin? This looks like it was done by a CSI sketch artist on crack! It's a "technically" beautiful rendered piece, but I think yer prettier than this, it's a little too "bare" for my tastes.

Toni James , Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

ROFL.... no not every wrinkle goof... just something a bit looser is all, different to do. I Actually left out the majority of the wrinkles.. it's just the pencil work you see. Or... I could say you know I did it to freak out my kids ;)

Eric said...

So great, I love realism in art today. You are a master of the colored pencil, maybe I can buy a neoclassical style work sometime.