Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Hello, Sunshine! My CPSA silent auction donation.

I was asked again this year to donate an original colored pencil piece for the silent auction, to be held at the CPSA International Exhibition in Atlanta, Ga.
.jpgs are due in about 3 weeks, so I thought I might want to get going on it, LOL. I couldn't decide on what it was I wanted to do for this piece. I have 3 pieces I could have used, but none of them were quite what I wanted to send. Going back thru my reference photos, this one caught my eye. Hmmm I had been avoiding that dress ... but after my last few limited palette pieces, I want some color!
This is Sunshine, a member of the White Mountain Apaches. She was a model at a photo shoot I attended when I first moved here. Her Mother, Aunt and Grandmother were also there, but I didn't photograph them, only Sunshine. Her mother made her dress, and shoes, entirely by hand. To see the leather-work/beading in person was just amazing.
While I am using a photo reference for this, I am in no way a slave to my photos. They are "references" and I am not a copy machine. I have lost my need to create more "photo realism" in my work, and am finding myself enjoying the freedom and artistic creativity of a more "representational " piece of art.

This is the set up on my easel, as I worked on the background. You'll notice I printed Sunshine out the size I wanted her to be, and I deleted the background before printing. For this setting I'll be using a picture I took in the White Mountains a few years ago. I'll be using my Uart 800, 7x10 or so, and Prismacolor pencils.
When I start with an under painting, I work all of the piece up at the same time. This time I'm using a direct color application, layering my compliments, tints, and shades in between as I build my color.



So here is where she is currently. Tomorrow back to the studio bright and early!
Hello, Sunshine!





7 comments:

Dors said...

This is the beginning of another masterpiece. It's lovely. and a very interesting story about her and family. i find it very interesting the way you work on this.

Hugs
Dors

Toni James, Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Hi Dors, thanks for dropping in.. and Happy Birthday! :)

Jenna White said...

7x10 inches? How big does her face come out to be? I have such a hard time with detail in small places (especially on the sanded surfaces), but you got a lot of detail in that face. I can't imagine it would be very big! This is going to be a beautiful piece. But then again, all of your pieces are! :)

Teresa Mallen said...

I agree with Jenna, a lot of detail in the face is coming across for a 7 x 10! I look forward to seeing it finished.

Beth said...

Nice start! I can't wait to see it in real life!

Reflections From Life Art Blog said...

Ahhhhh ... so this is the secret donation piece. This is going to be great Toni!! Nice start.

Nancy

Toni James, Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Thank you Jenna, I added a visual just for you ;). Hope that puts her in perspective a little better? I don't know why I didn't think of that to start with.

Thanks Teresa! I'm working to get this done as soon as possible lol, so hopefully you won't have long to wait.

One count down at a time Bethie! Tomorrow you'll be free!!! lol.. well until next fall at least? ;)

Hahaha Nancy, thanks! She's not a secret. If she was, she wouldn't be on my blog! lol..