Saturday, August 8, 2009

Back from Atlanta!

What a wonderful trip! 7 days of ART and ARTSY friends. Love my family and non-art friends more than they imagine, but sometimes, well, sometimes you need that connection with others that really know what your saying when you mention burnishing, solvents or favorite supports. You know those people who's eyes don't glaze over when you mention lightfast ratings or what's legal..... (color pencil people.. color pencil!)
Each and every one of the people below are wonderfully talented, amazing artists! I am blessed to even be able to get to know them.
My week of colored pencil art and artists began early last Monday when I flew into Memphis (via a short layover in Houston ..hustle hustle to your next terminal!) to meet up with a good friend and fellow colored pencil artist Beth Macre from Arkansas. From there we drove to Duluth, Ga. where the 17th Annual International Colored Pencil Society of America Exhibition was held. Both Beth and I, filled in for our CPSA Chapter Presidents who could not attend this year. Boy, not only was it enjoyable but a wonderfully enlightening experience.
See.. I was working!
Now, on to the fun stuff!
At every CPSA International Exhibition there is a local host chapter. This year is was the Atlanta Chapter CPSA DC #107. I'd like to send them a huge thank you, it was wonderful! Your hard work is very much appreciated! I would like to add an special thank you for whoever managed to give us such great weather while we were there.. Hotlanta? No.. not at all! Loved it!
There is a Hospitality Suite, where everyone checks in, hangs out and gathers to see whats going on. Also the silent auction pieces are here on display and open for bidding... Awesome works..every one of them.
If anyone cares to see the entire collection of silent auction donations, including my own Sunshine, here ya go....
You *might* find one or two sneaky members walking around with cameras at the ready.... of course you might find your self outed if your one of them! Here I was tattled on by one of my very favorite people, Linda Lucas Hardy, who blew the whistle on me while I was doing the "paparazzi" thing by clicking away while she was visiting with the always lovely Cindy Haase and a very quiet Theresa Mallen whom I think had just arrived, unsuspectingly Surprise! lol.
Hi Ladies, thank you for being such good sports! .. OH YEAH, I just read that trouble always comes in three's???? Funny thing is, every time I see Linda she's one of three! LOL, Hugz to ya Linda!


Here is my roomie Beth Macre and myself at the Members Meeting, where we reviewed all of the images that were submitted (over 600!) .
Of course it's also a chance to mingle and catch up with those other artists you don't see thru out the year, and meet new ones too!
Cathy Henry of the hard working Atlanta, Ga, chapter and yours truly..
Linda Hardy, Texas, who always makes me smile!
Nancy Hoover, N.C, one of those Paparazzi types (who I stole a couple of these images from lol.. ) and Jean Malicoat of Ohio.
I was just getting even with Nancy for this lovely shot she took....
I had only begun to chat with Lynda Schumacher, (on the left) whom I had never had the chance to talk to before that evil flash interrupted us.
Sunshine found a new home too! The silent auction bidding gets going hot and heavy twords the end... lol bidding wars are not exactly unheard of, and I saw several bidders "guarding" their bids! But it's all in great fun, and for a good cause.
Banquet Night and Award Presentations...
Gemma Gylling and Jean Malicoat
Debbie Hook and Jean Malicoat of Ohio
and well.. someone had to do it lol.. sorry Bethie!
(well sorta )
Finally.. the Convention draws to an end, Beth and I have been nicknamed "Thelma and Louise" unjustly of course... no one could define which was which anyway lol.
Beth, I'd take a road trip with you again, as long as we stay away from the Grand Canyon!
Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

10 comments:

Teresa Mallen said...

And here I thought I had managed to dodge all the cameras!! Linda was trying to hide behind me. I will know better next time. :-)

Your photos made me smile Toni. You and Beth looked smashing on awards night. Thelma and Louise, humm... I read on Beth's blog about how the road trip might involve Vegas next year!! You go girls!!!!

It was so great to meet you in person Toni. I hope to see you again at one of these events!

Beth said...

Oh my Thelma...I mean Toni! Love the series of photos of Cindy, Teresa, and Linda! And that last photo of you on the 'patio' is perfect! I can see the 'mischievious' twinkle in your eyes! Haha...I enjoyed traveling with you too and can't wait to do it again!

Dors said...

I am so glad that Thelma and Louis had a great time. OMG I wish I could have been there.
It all looks so awesome and such a friendly crowd.

Thank you for sharing the story and the photos Toni.

It's great to see you all having so much fun.

Cindy said...

Great blog post Thelma! (or is it Louise?)

Love all the pics...the ones of Teresa, Linda and I look like an animation! ;-)

You're one of my favorite people too....

Next year CA, baby!

Brandy said...

loved the update and pics - pls do stay away from the canyon though!

Eric said...

Looks like a great time! It's always fun when you get so many talented people in the same room.

Toni James, Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Teresa, I'm so glad you came all the way to Atlanta! It was wonderful meeting you. I thought that exhausted traveler that rode up the elevator with Beth and I looked a bit familiar ;). Perhaps you can travel to California next year? You never know, keep that passport up!

Louise.. is that you??? LOL, Beth I had a great time too, and we certainly didn't earn our Thelma and Louise titles, heck we never even got a tattoo! lol. I stole that picture from Debbie.. I like it too. Seemed fitting. lol. Next year, Tucson to Vegas to San Jose.... we might want to plan a couple extra days in Vegas? lol...(and avoid the canyon!)

Hi Dors! Thank you.. it was sooooooooooooo much fun! I'm glad you found my rambling amusing, I could easily have made it a much LONGER post but I didn't want to bore ya'll to death! If you ever get back to the states, you should plan to visit during the CPSA convention time! That would be so cool!

((Cindy!)) Thelma.. Louise? which one is younger? Shorter? lol.. i'm going to have to hit up youtube to see! I love the pictures I got of you guys .. actually there are probably 4 more in the series but I liked the story in these! lol... I can hear ya'll laughing still!

Brandy..thank you, and Promise. Now.. to get you to San Jose!

Hi Eric! Your right all around.. I did have a great time, and being around so many accomplished artists, the energy is amazing! Now, to get myself back to work!

Thanks everyone!

Dors said...

It sure would be the coolest. anyway we will get there..hoping next year... if we are your way maybe we could catch up for coffee.
don't think we would have time for me to have week at the CPSA. sounds awesome though.

Lynda Schumacher said...

Toni - just yesterday I came across that pic of the two of us on your blog; what a hoot! You definitely have a little deer-in-the-headlights look going for you!

Toni James, Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Hi Lynda.. hahahaha what a good description! Funny huh? Hey thanks for popping in, maybe next time we'll get to chat a second or two more :D