Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Millie's first portrait! WIP

I couldn't help it.. just had to play with those tiny fingers and that cute little baby face. 

This started as a discussion on realistic skin tones. Although this portrait isn't quite finished, it got me to thinking... what is a realistic skin tone?

 Is it something plain and flesh colored?

Ah.. trick question! Everything is effected by the light and color reflected on and around it. The light bounces off one object only to reflect that color onto something else, it's filtered from above, around and below. It has  colors of it's own, is it a warm light or a cool one? All this effects the objects it shines on.  Skin is no different. So, what I see as a realistic skin tone, might not be what you see.

Here is Millie's first portrait, prismacolor on Strathmore Bristol Vellum. Still a WIP (work in progress) I was hoping on finishing it up today, but we'll see.

You might notice that I like my pencil strokes, and I really like to apply my pencil as if I'm painting.
sorry about the yellow tint, this was taken in my kitchen..with yellow walls.
So, is a realistic skin tone different for me than it is for you? I'm sure it is, and that's ok. I love the pinks, purples, blues, greens and yellows in this piece. Hmmm wonder how it will look when I'm finished?
Guess we'll have to find out.
Keep Scribbling!

5 comments:

Meisie said...

Looking stunning already Toni! I love the soft light on the edges.

Lynda Schumacher said...

Toni - this is REALLY LOVELY. You have captured such a nice sense of softness, and light that seems to be bathing her in the kind of absolute peace that only a sleeping baby can portray......The more I draw the more I realize that colors are not often what they seem, and this is so true for skin tones. As you indicated, skin tones have so many colors -- greens, yellows, reds, purples, blues -- that can help bring a drawing or painting alive.

Great post and great work.

Eric said...

You are a master cross-hatcher to be sure... I've been reading up on the subject again in hopes of getting better.

It almost goes without saying that your granddaughter is beautiful and so is your drawing, but I'll be redundant here because it's Wednesday.

Toni James, Toni, Tj, pencils4me said...

Charne! Thank you, you know how it is when you just have to do something. That light and the glow really called to me, it must show.

Lynda, thanks for the lovely comment. I totally agree with you, every time I work, I learn something new. Love it. Did you finish that rusty pully yet?

Eric.. wow. No one has ever called me a master cross-hatcher before lol. It was a basic stroke learned 100 years ago when I started drawing, but along the way I lost it and became a bit more precise and controlled with my pencil applications, striving for that photo realistic, smooth kind of thing. Boring now that I look back at them. The last few years I've been morphing back to a looser more crazy pencil application. Something that lets me work, how I work naturally. I no longer look for exact realism, but prefer a more representational type of work. I find it more artistically freeing, and allows me to put more of myself in my work.

whoops.. didn't mean to write you a novel! Studying up? You have time to study pencil strokes with all your time intensive projects? Cool.. is there a goal in mind or is this just for fun? Oh and thanks!

Lynda Schumacher said...

Yes Toni; I finished the pulley at about 1:30 am Tuesday, and got it to the gallery later that morning after a few hours of much-needed sleep. What a marathon that piece was! Thanks for asking.

Your finished work of Millie is lovely.