Monday, January 4, 2010

Prismacolors New Lightfast Pencil ?!?!


Ha, well the light does shine thru it pretty fast, but alas, it's supposed to be a Black Raspberry PC pencil. It seems to be missing an important part..... hmm what could that be?
This is how it came,  from my order that was delivered weeks ago, that I never unpacked. I spent my New Years organizing my pencils, including all my miscellaneous stuff. When I unpacked this "light" one, I found it amusing.. :D I think I'll share it with my Prismacolor Rep when she visits Tucson next month.

So, as I said I spent my New Years going thru all my pencils and doing some organizing. I'm basically working out of the guest room at the moment, so organization was important!  I got this original idea from my dear friend, Gemma Gylling over at Glassgems Studio http://www.gemmagylling.blogspot.com/ .

I could never understand why Prismacolor couldn't market a storage for us artist to keep the hundreds of pencils we have on hand. (sorry to all the other brands, but my color work is 100% Prismacolor, if it's CP).  Here I've taken the plastic "craft" type bins that Ace Hardware markets, removed the drawers, cut the fronts of them off with my dremel tool and a cutting wheel, leaving the handle pull intact. Why cut the fronts off you ask? Well, the pencils are to long to fit in without cutting. Cutting allows the pencils to extend past the end of the storage drawer about 1", just like a store display. So, I can see at a glance what goes where.


Then I took the handy dandy nice shiny pencil brochure that Prismacolor hands out, the one with all the pencil numbers, swatches & names on one side, and the prismacolor markers on the other. I cut out each swatch, name and PC number, then with scotch tape I stuck them on each handle. Now each of my PCnumbers is assigned to it's very own space! FINALLY! I can tell at a glance what I need to order and which ones I don't use.



Here, all done.  I've got my Prismacolors, my graphite, charcoal, and every other kind of pencil I have, all located in one handy dandy place, right at my fingertips! Not only the pencils, but my miscellaneous tools too, a place for it all..... but I think I might have to pick up one or two more, with the larger drawers!
It works GREAT!

Now.. to just tackle that flat paper storage issue.....

Have a great day everyone, and may all your pencils have leads!

5 comments:

Brandy said...

hehe - you figure out that paper storage you just feel free to let me know! ...in the mean time I shall continue to plan on replacing mine with a ROLL of Uart, lol

Dors said...

Great idea Toni. Thanks for sharing this wonderful idea. I am on my way to get some...
As for the paper storage... OMG you can buy a lot of paper for what the storage drawers cost.

Big Hugs

Lynda Schumacher said...

Toni, you are a hoot. When I scrolled down, I sure was not expecting a pencil with a hole in it!
Love your pencil organization, and may borrow the idea or something similar when I 'remodel'. Currently part of my storage consists of a dental cabinet replica with many small drawers: long enough for the length of the pencils, but must open them to see! I love the look of it though. But lately I keep walking in my drawing room, looking around and scratching my head and saying to myself, "hmmmmmmmmmmmm". I'm feeling like its time for some changes.

Eric said...

Nice setup there Toni!
So, when telling them that you needed your pencils delivered ASAP and you mentioned something about 'getting the lead out'...

Teresa Mallen said...

I have had an empty pencil too. As for your pencil set up, all I can say is WOW!!! Good luck with the paper!